Sunday, May 23, 2010

My NEW Favorite TALK EVER!!!

I'm loving the conference issue of the Ensign.  I am especially liking Julie B Becks talk “And upon the Handmaids in Those Days Will I Pour Out My Spirit”  link here http://www.lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-1207-3,00.html

Here are my  FAVORITE parts......and why.....
1.
"The ability to qualify for, receive, and act on personal revelation is the single most important skill that can be acquired in this life. "
OK....see me previous post "Lioness at the Gate" (also about a Julie B Beck talk)  about how this should be our #1 priorety.    This is a staggering concept for me.  Personal Revelation is more important than FOOD!!  Its the only thing that will ensure our families ETERNAL SALVATION.  Pretty IMPORTANT.   BUT HOW DO I DO THAT?????  and....here comes my next favorite part.

2.
  "Insight found in scripture accumulates over time, so it is important to spend some time in the scriptures every day. "  
So here is the ANSWER....READ YOUR SCRIPTURES......EVERY EVERY DAY!!!  So true....when I am reading my scriptures daily I feel so much more patient, focused and close to the spirit.  I am REALLY going to have to do better. Maybe I should not allow myself real food until I have my SPIRITUAL food for the day...(as I sit here eating my egg and english muffin =) ) THAT would for SURE motivate me....haha.

3.
 "....mothers can feel help from the Spirit even when tired, noisy children are clamoring for attention, but they can be distanced from the Spirit if they lose their temper with children."
 OH this is a HARD ONE!!  Sometimes I feel like my screaming fighting children do nothing but drive the spirit right out the front door.  And then....disciplining them SURELY seems to do so.  I have GOT to be MORE PATIENT.  I can not afford to loose the spirit because my kids poured cereal out all over the house or are intent on beating each other up or refuse to take naps.  I'm just going to have to speak more kindly and PRAY more earnestly for patience.  NO LAUGHING....SHE SAYS IT CAN BE DONE....It's going to take me my WHOLE LIFE to figure this one out. Ready.........GO!

4.

".... Because personal revelation is a constantly renewable source of strength, it is possible to feel bathed in help even during turbulent times."
 I love the imagery in this quote.....Oh how I NEED to feel BATHED in help from the Lord.  Life is HAAAAAAAAARRRRD!   Really Hard sometimes. (ok all the time right now) Sometimes its so easy for me to be frustrated and overwhelmed.  I often just DECIDE to let myself be grumpy and stressed out.  But if I REALLY BELIEVE that my LIFE IS IN THE LORDS HANDS then I should be able to just let HIM BATHE ME IN THE SPIRIT OF PEACE.

which brings me to my MOST FAVORITE PART.......

5.
The second general Relief Society president, Eliza R. Snow, said this to the sisters: “We want to be ladies in very deed, not according to the term of the word as the world judges, but fit companions of the Gods and Holy Ones. In an organized capacity we can assist each other in not only doing good but in refining ourselves, and whether few or many come forward and help to prosecute this great work, they will be those that will fill honorable positions in the Kingdom of God. . . . Women should be women and not babies that need petting and correction all the time. I know we like to be appreciated but if we do not get all the appreciation which we think is our due, what matters? We know the Lord has laid high responsibility upon us, and there is not a wish or desire that the Lord has implanted in our hearts in righteousness but will be realized, and the greatest good we can do to ourselves and each other is to refine and cultivate ourselves in everything that is good and ennobling to qualify us for those responsibilities.”8

WOW!!!! WOW! WOW!
This is MY REALITY CHECK!!!!  I need to stop feeling sorry for myself when life is hard and realize that the LORD will grant all my righteous wishes and desires in due time.  Amazing Idea.  In other words....STOP WHINING!   Be happy!!!!!  This is the Lords plan and He needs me to be POWERFUL not PITUFUL!    Seriously.  Amazing.  Inspiring!!!!!  

Here I go......Trying to be " a Lady  in very deed, not according to the term of the word as the world judges, but fit companions of the Gods and Holy Ones"


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this post cousin! This was a great talk. I will admit I did not like the last part, must mean that is something I am supposed to work on!

Silvia said...

Thanks for sharing, Missy! It's been hard for me to be a good mom when motherhood wasn't a choice I made... but with the Lord's help, I can make it, even if preparing for medical school is actually easier than telling my son to stop throwing his food on the floor.

Heather said...

Also a big fan of this talk.